Oilwatch Africa (OWA) seeks the services of a Coordinator, in order to efficiently meet its objective of building solidarity, supporting resistance and promoting a common identity in the peoples of the global south who seek to stop the expansion of fossil fuel extraction activities that degrade territories both socially and environmentally.
The network supports independent monitoring of the devastations and violations of fossil fuel activities and members act at the local level and join together at the international level to protect the environment.
The role of the Coordinator will be to link up actions of the different members, expand membership and organize the international campaigns and struggles to meet the overall objectives of the network. The Coordinator will report to the steering committee of the network.
- Organising meetings (virtual or physical) of members.
- Mapping of other groups, network or campaigns active in similar struggles and facilitating linkages
- Mapping conflicts arising from fossil fuels activities
- Linking OWA with Oilwatch International, strategic allies, and resources.
- Amplifying the work of OWA to reach a wide audience including regional and international audience.
- Collating information and resources for the OWA website.
- Maintaining communications amongst members and sharing news updates related to the OWA’s focus.
- Maintaining an email list and giving updates on upcoming events.
- Organising regular communication with members to document information and amplify struggles and campaigns
- Creating campaign strategies with direction from the Steering Committee.
- Convening meetings of the Steering Committee and general meetings including the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and conferences.
- Compiling information and resources and expertise useful to the network, and ensuring the compilation is easily shareable with different groups.
- Fundraising with support of the Steering Committee.
- Drafting project declarations/statements and preparing meeting reports
Skills and Experience Required
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of the OWA.
- Experience and understanding of environmental justice, energy, climate, and related policy issues
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills with the ability to make new contacts and connections between individuals and groups.
- Time management and project management skills, with the ability to manage priorities depending on urgency
- Adaptable and effective at working as part of a team
- Must be fluent in English. Fluency in French and/or Portuguese is an added advantage.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Good understanding of organising in Africa.
- Proficiency with the use of Microsoft Office packages
- University degree or similar
- Experience with organising information to make it easily accessible
Salary: The salary for the role will be competitive
Location: Anywhere in Africa, hosted in a suitable organisation. Work will be mostly virtual with some travel within Africa and abroad.
We are seeking candidates who are excited to make an initial commitment of at least one year to this work. Willingness to travel is required.
Suitable candidates from across Africa are encouraged to apply by sending a CV, with two contactable references, and covering letter to: email@example.com
Closing date: 20th September 2020.